Château d'Aucors

Historic site and monument

Beaussac - 24340 - MAREUIL EN PÉRIGORD (BEAUSSAC) View map

Details

A first fortress of which there are only a few remains in the rocks was built in the 11th century on a natural defensive site. During the Hundred Years’ War, it was occupied by the English, but the seneschal of Poitou besieged it and took it back in 1435. Round shots made from stone weighing 100 kg attest that he had to use a mangonel (type of catapult) to obtain the surrender of the garrison. When peace returned, a dwelling was rebuilt on the edge of the cliff and a staircase tower was added around 1500. Torn into pieces during the Wars of Religion then abandoned, it was rebuilt in 1617 by its new owner, Jean de Conan, who adjoined two “pepperbox turrets”. A narrow terrace overlooking the emptiness was added during the reign of Louis XIV. Visit of the exteriors: central courtyard and view of the surrounding countryside from July 1st to August 20th.

Practical information

Opening dates & hours

  • Opening dates
    • , from 01/07/2020 to 20/08/2020

Equipments & Services

  • Site and monuments theme
    • , Château
  • Spoken languages ​​
    • , French

Contact

Our address

Beaussac
24340 MAREUIL EN PÉRIGORD

GPS : 45.4894969, 0.48475064